Vintage Rainbow Stripe Gown
This incredibly unique 1940s ball gown is sure to make you stand out in the crowd!
- Royal blue velvet spaghetti straps with matching velvet belt.
- No belt loops - belt sits at natural waist, waist seam is a bit lower for a slightly drop waisted effect.
- Side zipper has been added, dress originally had hook and eye closures down the side.
- No label, appears handcrafted.
- Fabric is most likely a heavy weight silk twill.
- Bust 32" (note that the addition of darts and slight pleating at center front allows for more room in the cups.)
- Waist (at seam) 28"
- Hips full.
- Should fit a US size 2-4
- Bodice length: center front to waist 9", shoulder to waist 16.5"
- Dress length: center front to hem 51", shoulder to hem 58.5"
- Belt 25" to 28.5"
- Natural waist (where belt sits) 26"
- Good. There are a few stains throughout the fabric, but they are not noticeable when worn due to the vibrant nature of the pattern. The skirt has so much volume that the defects are hidden in the folds of the fabric. Please note the detail photographs before purchasing. It's also possible that some of the stains could be removed by a professional.
- The left strap should be re-secured before wearing (see picture.)
- The underside of the belt is coming apart slightly, this could most likely be repaired by carefully ironing in some stitch witchery (available in most craft stores.)
- Overall, this dress is very much wearable. (Not to mention stunningly gorgeous!) Very sturdy, no holes.
- Add a crinoline slip to accentuate the volume of the skirt.
- Keep jewelry, accessories, and makeup/hair modern/minimal.
- The skirt is quite long, so any heel or party sandal will work. We love it with strappy gold sandals!
Check out our guide to buying vintage here.